Monday, December 6, 2010

Journal 11

The first thing I think about when I enter a negotiation is “what would work for both of us.” I usually have in mind exactly what I want for myself coming into the negotiation, but in the end I don't usually push to hard for that option unless I think there is a way I can convince the other person that that would work for them too. Usually, I find myself thinking, “what can I live with,” or “what am I willing to give up?” I think that often times, I give in easily to other people's wants because it makes negotiation easier, and causes less conflict.
I don't think I'm very good at negotiation when it comes to people I really care about. I like to give them what they want, and I'd rather deal with the short end of the stick than give it to them. However, when I'm negotiating with someone I don't have a vested interest in, I can be far more harsh and really try to get the better deal for myself.
I never really thought about it before, but I think that I may have learned how to negotiate from watching my parents negotiate about me. My father usually gives into whatever my mother is arguing, but he is never happy about it. I never liked hearing them argue, or having to deal with a grumpy father for the next few days, so I try to make sure people are happy with the decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment