Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Journal 12

This was the first Thanksgiving I have been gluten free for. My Mom, concerned I would get upset by the fact that I couldn’t eat all of the pies, stuffings, and gravies associated with the holiday, decided to cook our entire holiday feast gluten free. I appreciated this so much. Usually to save time, my mom buys pre made pie crust, and makes the filling. But she had to make the pie crust this year for it to be gluten free. No one had a problem with this, even my brother, who had a variety of food allergies himself, sympathized with me. There was one person though, who found a reason to protest: my sister. She and I have had a rocky relationship for years. Up until Thanksgiving Day, we had not spoken since June. So naturally, she had a problem with changing something for my benefit. She argued that none of it would taste the same (which 90% of it did) and that it was changing tradition.

In this conflict, I was the avoider that I always am. I figured that it wasn’t my decision to make everything gluten free and I didn’t choose to have a gluten intolerance (trust me, I’d much rather not), so my sister shouldn’t be mad at me. So every time she made a jab at, “I wasn’t involved in the cooking this year; there is a lack of gluten”, I simply rolled my eyes and kept my comments to myself. And so did the rest of my family. And this was the day that my sister decided to end her coercive commitment.

No comments:

Post a Comment