Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Journal 11

When I negotiate, clearly I want to leave the table with everything I wanted to begin with, but I have to think about what I would be willing to give up. If I don’t want to take the train home for winter break, and my parents can’t pick me up, it’s absolutely fine that I have to stay two extra days so a friends can drive me. I still achieve my main goal, just a little bit later than expected.

I learned my negotiation styles from my family. I am the youngest of four children, and admittedly, that made me a little selfish. All parents like to baby their youngest, and growing up, there was rarely a time when I didn’t get the last cookie from the box because I was the youngest and it was only fair. This has shaped my negotiation style because if I truly want something, I will try as hard as I can to get my point across and get my way. It may make negotiation longer, but in the end I usually get my goal achieved. And I think as I’ve grown up, I’ve learned how not to be so selfish, because now, I am willing to give up certain things in order to get my goal achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment