Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Journal 4 - Terms of Analysis

In College Writing Seminar (CWS) last week, our facilitator shared a photo with us from the Juniata Archives. The photo was of the dining hall in approximately the 1950s. She asked us to take a couple moments to write about the photo, sharing any ideas or thoughts we might have about it.

I looked at it for a few seconds and began writing and I noticed the words on my paper included “gender stratification”, “gender roles”, etc. I couldn’t help but think of the possible conflicts and underlying messages in place in the photo. I thought about the romantic notions of the roles being displayed and what conflicts they would cause in modern society.

Without learning the basics of conflict, I never would have thought in these terms to simply describe the photo I was looking at.

No comments:

Post a Comment