Sunday, September 26, 2010

Journal 5

Theories can be complicated. What theory or theories did you find compelling? What questions do you have about the theories? Do you have a native theory of conflict? What is it?

I think that the Basic Human Needs theory is complicated. From what I assumed from the name, I immediately agreed with it. But then I discovered that they weren't talking about basic human needs like shelter, food, and water. No, the theory is more about basic human emotional needs like recognition, happiness, and social interaction. I don't think I completely agree with this theory, but I think it does have a lot to do with why conflicts happen.

My question is: do Basic Human Needs cause conflict, or does conflict cause Basic Human Needs? If a person were to be a hermit and never have contact with anyone else, would they really have conflict on a Basic Human Needs theory level? It seems to me that this theory only works in a social level. If that hermit gets a job at Kinkos and isn't getting enough positive feedback from his boss, that would cause his fight for recognition and happiness. A hermit might have trouble finding food and water, but that's not covered in the BHN theory. I don't think it makes sense to include basic human needs for survival into the BHN theory. Why does it leave out something so fundamental that does cause conflict all the time?

No comments:

Post a Comment