Monday, September 20, 2010

Journal 4

When I look at conflict in my life, I usually just feel extreme stress and confusion. One of the biggest things I've been in conflict with the last few weeks has been balancing classwork, work, and trying to maintain a level of sanity. Perhaps it's too difficult while I'm in the middle of this conflict to be able to look at it clearly and analyze it like a pro, but I certainly do try.

When I look closely at my conflicts I notice that it is really easy to get caught up in the emotions of a situation and overlook the facts or realistic options/choices. I suppose a lot of what has been going on with me has dealt with my views of relative deprivation. It just seems so unfair to me that all of my professors don't seem to think that I have other classes and just as much work to do in those classes as they are assigning me each day. Though if I think a bit more clearly about my situation, time management skills (though I swear they are not working for me) are the best way to deal with these things, and perhaps even talking with professors directly. I also feel, like I think many students do, that students do not have as much power at "the table" as professors do, so they seldom try communicating with their professors. This perceived unequal level of power can really get in the way of resolving conflicts, not only because someone can perceive that they have more power than another, but because those who perceive themselves to have less power don't bother to try to change things.

No comments:

Post a Comment